Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:29 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Inherent problems with a live-action Hollywood movie
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:28 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Jan 02, 2010
Posts: 1010
Meow wrote:

Well the Asian thing is incredibly similar to the black thing. I see where you are coming from, but I think we can both agree that the world is messed up. My Asian friends I can't even talk to about the issue because majority of them just tell me Japan is obsessed/idolize the white race and this is why Usagi looks white. I got into a heated argument with one of the guys I worked with because of that but there is really no use in arguing with someone who knows their race more then me. He's not Japanese though (I wanna say hes Vietnamese?) so I took it as he was full of crap. LOL P-:

Yeah, I agree with your Japanese friends, which is why when I read earlier posts from other people about how "Anime character just look white to Americans because Americans are racist" and "people who think Sailor Moon characters are white are racists" I thought to myself, well, there's merit in thinking these girls are white, because the Asian culture (particularly city-folk in Japan, China, and Korea) really ARE obsessed with making themselves APPEAR white (that isn't to say they want to throw out their own culture, they don't--but look at how many people get plastic surgery in Korea!). And I'm saying that as someone who is Asian, who has lived in China and seen how many commercials there are for products to whiten your skin.

That being said, I do agree arguing for another ethnic group that you don't belong to can rub some people the wrong way, which is why I'm going to drop the Tyra thing lol

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Inherent problems with a live-action Hollywood movie
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:16 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 37 months ago
inactive
User avatar
Joined: Jan 29, 2010
Posts: 491
Location: Planet Mau
Quote:
LOL yes I said "and NOT to have an ethnically diverse cast would probably not be the wisest move" meaning it's not wise to NOT include diversity. And calling someone "ignorant" or a "bigot" -- you understand those are fighting words, right? So if someone is going to be on the aggressive side with me, obviously I am going to say something back.

Anyway, I THINK this is the video I'm talking about: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xD2WYJTG8ig (I can't check it completely through because I'm at the library) but she talks about how there's not enough representation of dark-skinned beauty in the media.

And talk to your Asian friends again about Asians in advertisement, which do they see more? Someone who looks like the girl on the left? Or someone who looks like the girl on the right? And I am not talking about makeup or hair color. They're both beautiful celebrities, but the girl on the right (particularly in China) was considered to be ugly.


Ahh yes. I read that wrong, I must have skipped the first "not". LOL

But I hope you see how me misinterpreting or misreading that would come off as ignorant or bias right?

Well the Asian thing is incredibly similar to the black thing. I see where you are coming from, but I think we can both agree that the world is messed up. My Asian friends I can't even talk to about the issue because majority of them just tell me Japan is obsessed/idolize the white race and this is why Usagi looks white. I got into a heated argument with one of the guys I worked with because of that but there is really no use in arguing with someone who knows their race more then me. He's not Japanese though (I wanna say hes Vietnamese?) so I took it as he was full of crap. LOL P-:

_________________
Image
My deviantARTImage
Avatar art by Drachea Rannak


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Inherent problems with a live-action Hollywood movie
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:05 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Jan 02, 2010
Posts: 1010
Meow wrote:
Um no, this is what you said:

Quote:
Also, I'm sure a majority of fans who watched Sailor Moon as a kid in America imagined themselves being the Sailor Soldiers. These are the fans that you won't find on Sailor Moon forums, who haven't seen the subbed version, but they're the ones that will bring a successful revival of Sailor Moon to North America (plus new fans). The nostalgia will most likely drive them to watch the movies if they are ever made, and not to have an ethnically diverse cast would probably not be the wisest move.


And when someone came and called you ignorant and racist for the comment you got offended and defensive. Perhaps you should explain yourself a little better instead of coming off like a complete bigot? Those girls do not look Caucasian. Someone doesn't look Caucasian just because of their hair color or eye makeup which is why I posted the picture of Ciara and Rihanna. Which for one, Ciara isn't considered light skinned and the only "mixed" thing about Rihanna is her eye color. Rihanna actually has really ETHNIC features. Second Keke Palmer has blonde hair and is defiantly not considered light skinned. (http://cdn.styleblazer.com/wp-content/u ... 65x344.jpg) No model I have seen lately has been light skinned, and majority of Hollywood black actresses are not light skinned. I could name the light skinned actresses and for every light skinned one, their is a dark skinned one who is more popular. Regardless if they have white or "mixed" features, there are woman in Africa who are pure African who are light skinned and have thinner noses. I understand what you are trying to say, however, Tyra is really using that as a crutch because she is obsessed with her race. Naomi Campbell is just as popular as Tyra Banks and Naomi is defiantly dark skinned. Now singers, are a whole other subject. You're totally right about that, I don't know. I think a lot of black celebs probably bleach.

I'm sorry if you were offended by my comment about attractiveness but I didn't mean to come off that way, trust me. I do apologize and see why you would be so upset. However to redeem myself, I've had conversations with my Asian friends (I don't care whether or not you find that made up) and they believe as well as myself, that they only get asked if they are mixed because they're attractive. Not that full Asians aren't attractive, it has nothing to do with that. It deals with a horrible stereotype. A better example: I have got asked if I was a quarter black or half because according to this white guy, there was no way I was full black because I was too pretty. Understand what I am saying? I have been told, "Wow, you're pretty for a black girl" on so many occasions. It has nothing to do with me being racist, it is just how the world is.

:love:

LOL yes I said "and NOT to have an ethnically diverse cast would probably not be the wisest move" meaning it's not wise to NOT include diversity. And calling someone "ignorant" or a "bigot" -- you understand those are fighting words, right? So if someone is going to be on the aggressive side with me, obviously I am going to say something back.

Anyway, I THINK this is the video I'm talking about: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xD2WYJTG8ig (I can't check it completely through because I'm at the library) but she talks about how there's not enough representation of dark-skinned beauty in the media.

And talk to your Asian friends again about Asians in advertisement, which do they see more? Someone who looks like the girl on the left? Or someone who looks like the girl on the right? And I am not talking about makeup or hair color. They're both beautiful celebrities, but the girl on the right (particularly in China) was considered to be ugly.


Attachments:
color cast zhu hong lu yan.jpg
color cast zhu hong lu yan.jpg [ 83.95 KiB | Viewed 2420 times ]

_________________
Image
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Inherent problems with a live-action Hollywood movie
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:51 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 37 months ago
inactive
User avatar
Joined: Jan 29, 2010
Posts: 491
Location: Planet Mau
Um no, this is what you said:

Quote:
Also, I'm sure a majority of fans who watched Sailor Moon as a kid in America imagined themselves being the Sailor Soldiers. These are the fans that you won't find on Sailor Moon forums, who haven't seen the subbed version, but they're the ones that will bring a successful revival of Sailor Moon to North America (plus new fans). The nostalgia will most likely drive them to watch the movies if they are ever made, and not to have an ethnically diverse cast would probably not be the wisest move.


And when someone came and called you ignorant and racist for the comment you got offended and defensive. Perhaps you should explain yourself a little better instead of coming off like a complete bigot? Those girls do not look Caucasian. Perhaps they would look Caucasian in their own country, but Rihanna got called a "white girl" in her country too because majority of that island is dark. That does not change the fact Rihanna is a black woman and here in America that is how she is perceived. I am sorry I come off very brash but someone doesn't look Caucasian just because of their hair color or eye makeup which is why I posted the picture of Ciara and Rihanna. Which for one, Ciara isn't considered light skinned and the only "mixed" thing about Rihanna is her eye color. Rihanna actually has really ETHNIC features. Second Keke Palmer has blonde hair and is defiantly not considered light skinned. (http://cdn.styleblazer.com/wp-content/u ... 65x344.jpg) No model I have seen lately has been light skinned, and majority of Hollywood black actresses are not light skinned. I could name the light skinned actresses and for every light skinned one, their is a dark skinned one who is more popular. Regardless if they have white or "mixed" features, there are woman in Africa who are pure African who are light skinned and have thinner noses. I understand what you are trying to say, however, Tyra is really using that as a crutch because she is obsessed with her race. Naomi Campbell is just as popular as Tyra Banks and Naomi is defiantly dark skinned. Now singers, are a whole other subject. You're totally right about that, I don't know. I think a lot of black celebs probably bleach.

I'm sorry if you were offended by my comment about attractiveness but I didn't mean to come off that way, trust me. I do apologize and see why you would be so upset. However to redeem myself, I've had conversations with my Asian friends (I don't care whether or not you find that made up) and they believe as well as myself, that they only get asked if they are mixed because they're attractive. Not that full Asians aren't attractive, it has nothing to do with that. It deals with a horrible stereotype. A better example: I have got asked if I was a quarter black or half because according to this white guy, there was no way I was full black because I was too pretty. Understand what I am saying? I have been told, "Wow, you're pretty for a black girl" on so many occasions. It has nothing to do with me being racist, it is just how the world is.

I know a lot about ethnicity and race. Don't try and paint a picture when you do not have the tools or talent.

:love:

_________________
Image
My deviantARTImage
Avatar art by Drachea Rannak


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Inherent problems with a live-action Hollywood movie
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:10 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Jan 02, 2010
Posts: 1010
Meow wrote:
Those girls would never be considered white. They have blonde hair and that is the only thing "white" about them. They have Asian facial features, bone structure and their eyes give them away. If you think they racially look white you must think these girls do as well.
http://cdn.glamcheck.com/fashion/files/ ... braids.jpg
http://www.celebwigs.com/product_images ... de-wig.jpg
I have Asian friends who look very similar to the girls I have posted and would never be mistaken as white. They may get asked "are you half white?", and the only reason they get asked that is because they are attractive. Yeah, having a ethnically diverse cast wouldn't be the wisest move because America is full of racist and ignorant people such as yourself. No offense. But I call a spade a spade. So the movie wouldn't be nostalgic unless the characters were white? That is precisely why you come off racist.

OK, first off, you just said "the only reason they get asked 'are you half white' is because they are attractive," so you basically just insinuated that Asians who are not half-white are not attractive.

Second off, I say this as a proud Asian-American that I have a problem with Asians in the media either being stereotypes or have Caucasian features. I didn't say the girls in the pictures could be considered white, I said they look Caucasian. If you've ever been to Asia, 90% of the people you see are super super pale, they have huge eyes with the double eyelid, etc. and you usually don't see someone (especially girls) with a heavy Asian ethnic look, they always have a "mixed" look to them and have Caucasian features. They're the ones that are considered beautiful, not the girls who have mono-eyelids or the girls that don't quite have as much of a well-defined nose bridge--and therein lies the problem (which is why I said you can't please everyone, but here's the thing: Sailor Moon is blonde, so there's no way of getting around that; it's true I'm against white-wash casting, but I also do want the cast to look like their anime counterparts, and this causes part of the problem with a live-action movie as well).

And third of all, I know for a fact that there are a lot of the same issues in the African American community, where the media portrays lighter skin as beautiful. The very fact that you chose Ciara and Rihanna (and even mentioned Halle Berry later in your post), who have light skin and are prominent in pop culture, is proof of that. Tyra even had a segment about it on her talk show a long time ago and even used herself as an example along with Beyonce, etc. There are African American women there who have dark skin, who don't have those "mixed" features, and you don't see them represented enough in the media either.

Lastly, you seem not to be of Asian decent yourself, from your word choice when describing "your Asian friends" and I have a problem with you coming in on your high horse deeming everyone else to be racists, spreading your vague notion of what racism is, when you don't seem to have enough knowledge on the subject.

I have never had an issue on this forum with another member that has infuriated me so much. This is an issue that has stuck with me, and many others like myself, especially being part of the racial minority as well as working in the entertainment industry. Maybe you should take an ethnic studies class before posting anything on this subject again.

BTW - towards your "nostalgia" comment, I wasn't against having an ethnically diverse cast, I only mentioned the blonde characters (notice how I said "and not to have an ethnically diverse cast would probably not be the wisest move")

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Inherent problems with a live-action Hollywood movie
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:02 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 37 months ago
inactive
User avatar
Joined: Jan 29, 2010
Posts: 491
Location: Planet Mau
Loveless wrote:
It doesn't have to be ethnically diverse to support the fact that Hollywood would probably just make it to milk a fanbase, which means it would probably just be poorly written and anyone who hasn't watched the anime or read the manga wouldn't know what the heck was going on with the plot.



And @purplewarrior, true that.


I agree. I believe the movie would be a huge flop and incredibly corny. I do believe however, that making a movie inspired by Sailor Moon would work as long as you unfortunately put the sexual dialog and dark storyline. That is just my opinion though.

_________________
Image
My deviantARTImage
Avatar art by Drachea Rannak


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Inherent problems with a live-action Hollywood movie
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:55 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 60 months ago
inactive
Joined: Dec 12, 2012
Posts: 23
It doesn't have to be ethnically diverse to support the fact that Hollywood would probably just make it to milk a fanbase, which means it would probably just be poorly written and anyone who hasn't watched the anime or read the manga wouldn't know what the heck was going on with the plot.



And @purplewarrior, true that.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Inherent problems with a live-action Hollywood movie
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:50 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Sep 09, 2011
Posts: 3212
Location: Richmond, VA, United States
@Loveless Oh, I never said DB Evolution is good (though I do enjoy it to some extent, I can understand the hate), I'm just pointing out that it wasn't too afraid to cast Asians alongside Caucasians for the adapted characters.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Inherent problems with a live-action Hollywood movie
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:50 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 37 months ago
inactive
User avatar
Joined: Jan 29, 2010
Posts: 491
Location: Planet Mau
First off, I wasn't shipping an all Asian cast for a Hollywood adaption of Sailor Moon. I'm not stupid, obviously, I know this wouldn't work in America. I was explaining how ethnically the characters of Sailor Moon are all Japanese. So get that out of your head because that was never my intention. I am fully aware of the fact the cast should and would be ethnically diverse in America (although it wouldn't be).

Quote:
I actually like the girls in the first pic. But in my opinion, casting an Asian who looks Caucasian is just as bad. You see people argue all the time that Hollywood only casts African Americans who are light skinned, etc. And I feel like casting the main character as someone who is Asian, but looks Caucasian, would also cause problems. Bottom line is, you can't please everyone. I personally wouldn't mind for Sailor Moon to be played by someone who is Asian, but doesn't look super ethnic. But then I think Sailor Venus should be a Caucasian blonde. I think that's better than having everyone be Asian, or everyone be white. Also, I'm sure a majority of fans who watched Sailor Moon as a kid in America imagined themselves being the Sailor Soldiers. These are the fans that you won't find on Sailor Moon forums, who haven't seen the subbed version, but they're the ones that will bring a successful revival of Sailor Moon to North America (plus new fans). The nostalgia will most likely drive them to watch the movies if they are ever made, and not to have an ethnically diverse cast would probably not be the wisest move.

Those girls would never be considered white. They have blonde hair and that is the only thing "white" about them. They have Asian facial features, bone structure and their eyes give them away. If you think they racially look white you must think these girls do as well.
http://cdn.glamcheck.com/fashion/files/ ... braids.jpg
http://www.celebwigs.com/product_images ... de-wig.jpg
I have Asian friends who look very similar to the girls I have posted and would never be mistaken as white. They may get asked "are you half white?", and the only reason they get asked that is because they are attractive. Yeah, having a ethnically diverse cast wouldn't be the wisest move because America is full of racist and ignorant people such as yourself. No offense. But I call a spade a spade. So the movie wouldn't be nostalgic unless the characters were white? That is precisely why you come off racist.

Quote:
I agree with most of this, so in response to the person above you I would like to point out that the title of the question mentions Hollywood. You will not get an all Asian cast in a big budget Hollywood film. You should also not expect it and it's not racist. You'd have Rei, Ami, maybe Hotaru and Setsuna played by Asian actresses, not even Asian actresses, just Asian looking actresses and you should be happy with that. As a Hollywood film it is to be expected that you are going to have actresses from all ethnic backgrounds, not just Asian.

If this film was made in Korea we wouldn't even be arguing about ethnicity.


I am not saying casting the girls as other races is racist. Cat womans' race has been changed in films a couple times and everything was okay, despite the fact Cat woman in the comics was displayed as a white woman. I'm saying the reasons behind people wanting the characters to be white/Asian is racist and ignorant in itself. The only reason you and others feel the need to slap Asian ethnicity on Rei, Ami, Hotaru and Setsuna is collectively due to their straight dark hair. Rei is only perceived as Asian because she is a Shinto priestess, but if you took away that storyline people would probably see her as Hispanic due to her fiery attitude. Ami because shes smart, we stereotype smart as being synonymous with Asian. I have even seen her being displayed as black due probably to her short hair. If you wanted a impressive ethnically diverse cast you have to think outside the box.

_________________
Image
My deviantARTImage
Avatar art by Drachea Rannak


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Inherent problems with a live-action Hollywood movie
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:47 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 60 months ago
inactive
Joined: Dec 12, 2012
Posts: 23
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
^ Actually, while Goku and Bulma were indeed caucasian in DB Evolution, pretty much every other character from the manga/anime were represented as Asian (Yamcha, Master Roshi, Chi-Chi, even Agent Mai).


True that, but they were the main characters... It was like the movie 21, they threw a couple of Asians in the background to make up for the fact that pretty much the whole group from the book wasn't white. ;/ Either way both movies were bad.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Inherent problems with a live-action Hollywood movie
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:43 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Sep 09, 2011
Posts: 3212
Location: Richmond, VA, United States
^ Actually, while Goku and Bulma were indeed caucasian in DB Evolution, pretty much every other character from the manga/anime were represented as Asian (Yamcha, Master Roshi, Chi-Chi, even Agent Mai). Granted, most of these actors were actually CHINESE, the original DB story does have a more Chinese feel to it than Japanese (since it was originally loosely based off of a Chinese legend). Sailor Moon has never struck me as being a stamp of any specific culture, though there is definitely Japanese influence. It's not an integral part of the plot (for the most part).


Last edited by PurpleWarrior13 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Inherent problems with a live-action Hollywood movie
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:37 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 60 months ago
inactive
Joined: Dec 12, 2012
Posts: 23
Diverse ethnicities and Hollywood don't mix. They tend to just "white wash" everything into a primarily Caucasian cast, or just toss in a few stereotypes. The live action seres was kinda cheep but for the most part it was updated, sorta revamped and kinda cute. I've never seem translates well into live action, just look at the abortion that is the Dragonball movie. These things tend to be just kind of slapped together to profit off the fanbase.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Inherent problems with a live-action Hollywood movie
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:27 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 40 months ago
inactive
User avatar
Joined: May 07, 2012
Posts: 826
Meow wrote:
However to squash the race issue which should NOT even be a question or argument in the first place. It just shows how absolutely ignorant and brainless human beings truly are. The senshi are ethnically Japanese PERIOD. If you say other wise you just wish for them to be another race due to your own insecurities and hatred.



I can't speak for anybody else in here, but I can say for myself that I wouldn't want a certain ethnicity cast if it didn't fit the character design. If you want to make the Senshi all asian, then you have to redesign the characters to fit that role like what was done in PGSM. This isn't like the Kyo Kusanagi from the recent KOF movie bomb.

Image

EDIT: By the way, the picture only tells part of the story. The person cast as Saisyu (Kyo's father) was asian. In fact, all the other asian characters were cast by asians.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Inherent problems with a live-action Hollywood movie
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:13 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Jan 02, 2010
Posts: 1010
Rhett Butler wrote:
^That's true, but the new Anime could potentially change that,

I think it would only change that if The new anime can be broadcast on cable TV like the last one. DVD-only releases tend not to make a huge impact in mainstream US media

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Inherent problems with a live-action Hollywood movie
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:09 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 51 months ago
inactive
User avatar
Joined: Nov 04, 2012
Posts: 460
Location: California
^That's true, but the new Anime could potentially change that,

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Inherent problems with a live-action Hollywood movie
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:54 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 59 months ago
inactive
Joined: Dec 07, 2012
Posts: 218
There is nothing wrong with an asian Sailor Moon per say, but despite some claims of "racism" and "ignorance" a Hollywood adaptation is going to want a multiracial cast. Call it what ever you want its more accessible to an American audience. So yeah Sailor Moon can be a blonde Asian, but you're not going to get an all-Asian cast in an American-made film made for an American audience.


Of course this is all extremely theoretical, after Elektra and Catwoman bombed, movie studios are convinced that female super hero films don't sell and Sailor Moon hasn't been relevant in US shores since like...2003?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Inherent problems with a live-action Hollywood movie
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:47 am 
Planeta
Planeta
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Sep 09, 2011
Posts: 3212
Location: Richmond, VA, United States
Meow wrote:
A Sailor Moon movie made by Hollywood would be a complete disaster, not because of the race issue but just because it would be incredibly corny. People are absolutely delirious I see. :|

However to squash the race issue which should NOT even be a question or argument in the first place. It just shows how absolutely ignorant and brainless human beings truly are. The senshi are ethnically Japanese PERIOD. If you say other wise you just wish for them to be another race due to your own insecurities and hatred. Some white people tend to think of themselves as the standard human being because we have all been subconsciously taught that white is better from a very young age, among other things. If you want to argue that statement you won't get a response from me because there is no arguing stupidity and denial. I am so sick and tired of seeing people argue about this imaginary race issue. Everything about these girls screams Japanese culture. The only argument you could make that would work and make you not look like an idiot is the Sailor Moon world is without race.

By the way, Japanese females look fine as blondes:
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdqud ... o1_500.jpg
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_md2y0 ... o1_500.jpg
http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/rui-kotobuki - Lots of blondes.
And if you want to say they look strange or odd, chances are YOU just want the senshi to be white because you're white.


We're not saying all the scouts should be white in a live action Hollywood film. We're saying they should be multicultural, with more than one race (and that includes Asian), since it would be FAR more marketable and FAR more likely to happen. Besides, no matter what race the characters may have been in other media, they would most likely be reflected as many different races in a live action film.

Oh, and I'm sure there are individuals from every race who think the way you describe, not just caucasian people. ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Inherent problems with a live-action Hollywood movie
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:09 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 51 months ago
inactive
User avatar
Joined: Nov 04, 2012
Posts: 460
Location: California
ChibiBoi wrote:
I actually like the girls in the first pic. But in my opinion, casting an Asian who looks Caucasian is just as bad. You see people argue all the time that Hollywood only casts African Americans who are light skinned, etc. And I feel like casting the main character as someone who is Asian, but looks Caucasian, would also cause problems.
Bottom line is, you can't please everyone.
I personally wouldn't mind for Sailor Moon to be played by someone who is Asian, but doesn't look super ethnic. But then I think Sailor Venus should be a Caucasian blonde. I think that's better than having everyone be Asian, or everyone be white.
Also, I'm sure a majority of fans who watched Sailor Moon as a kid in America imagined themselves being the Sailor Soldiers. These are the fans that you won't find on Sailor Moon forums, who haven't seen the subbed version, but they're the ones that will bring a successful revival of Sailor Moon to North America. The nostalgia will most likely drive them to watch the movies if they are ever made, and not to have an ethnically diverse cast would probably not be the wisest move.



I agree with most of this, so in response to the person above you I would like to point out that the title of the question mentions Hollywood. You will not get an all Asian cast in a big budget Hollywood film. You should also not expect it and it's not racist. You'd have Rei, Ami, maybe Hotaru and Setsuna played by Asian actresses, not even Asian actresses, just Asian looking actresses and you should be happy with that. As a Hollywood film it is to be expected that you are going to have actresses from all ethnic backgrounds, not just Asian.

If this film was made in Korea we wouldn't even be arguing about ethnicity.

Quote:
Michael Bay picks up the script for Sabanmoon.


:supercry:

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Inherent problems with a live-action Hollywood movie
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:00 am 
Yoshi
Yoshi
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Jul 05, 2009
Posts: 7039
Location: Philippines
Salem Saberhagen wrote:
This hypothetical hollywood movie... It takes out the camp, takes away the bright colors, reduces the screentime of the characters, probably cuts out the lesbians, (but maybe not) nixes attack names? And what else?


Michael Bay picks up the script for Sabanmoon.

_________________
Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Inherent problems with a live-action Hollywood movie
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:44 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Jan 02, 2010
Posts: 1010
Meow wrote:
A Sailor Moon movie made by Hollywood would be a complete disaster, not because of the race issue but just because it would be incredibly corny. People are absolutely delirious I see. :|

However to squash the race issue which should NOT even be a question or argument in the first place. It just shows how absolutely ignorant and brainless human beings truly are. The senshi are ethnically Japanese PERIOD. If you say other wise you just wish for them to be another race due to your own insecurities and hatred. Some white people tend to think of themselves as the standard human being because we have all been subconsciously taught that white is better from a very young age, among other things. If you want to argue that statement you won't get a response from me because there is no arguing stupidity and denial. I am so sick and tired of seeing people argue about this imaginary race issue. Everything about these girls screams Japanese culture. The only argument you could make that would work and make you not look like an idiot is the Sailor Moon world is without race.

By the way, Japanese females look fine as blondes:
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdqud ... o1_500.jpg
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_md2y0 ... o1_500.jpg
http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/rui-kotobuki - Lots of blondes.
And if you want to say they look strange or odd, chances are YOU just want the senshi to be white because you're white.

I actually like the girls in the first pic. But in my opinion, casting an Asian who looks Caucasian is just as bad. You see people argue all the time that Hollywood only casts African Americans who are light skinned, etc. And I feel like casting the main character as someone who is Asian, but looks Caucasian, would also cause problems.
Bottom line is, you can't please everyone.
I personally wouldn't mind for Sailor Moon to be played by someone who is Asian, but doesn't look super ethnic. But then I think Sailor Venus should be a Caucasian blonde. I think that's better than having everyone be Asian, or everyone be white.
Also, I'm sure a majority of fans who watched Sailor Moon as a kid in America imagined themselves being the Sailor Soldiers. These are the fans that you won't find on Sailor Moon forums, who haven't seen the subbed version, but they're the ones that will bring a successful revival of Sailor Moon to North America (plus new fans). The nostalgia will most likely drive them to watch the movies if they are ever made, and not to have an ethnically diverse cast would probably not be the wisest move.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Inherent problems with a live-action Hollywood movie
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:31 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Jun 30, 2006
Posts: 5826
Location: Spellman Household, Massachusetts
I really love the second photo you posted Meow. :)

I'm not getting involved in the race argument, but I'd like to ask a question of the others...

This hypothetical hollywood movie... It takes out the camp, takes away the bright colors, reduces the screentime of the characters, probably cuts out the lesbians, (but maybe not) nixes attack names? And what else?

After all these changes to make the show more "suitable", what's left of the series that you actually like?

_________________
http://nekorin-gatacat.deviantart.com/ Come see me at Deviantart!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Inherent problems with a live-action Hollywood movie
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:58 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 37 months ago
inactive
User avatar
Joined: Jan 29, 2010
Posts: 491
Location: Planet Mau
A Sailor Moon movie made by Hollywood would be a complete disaster, not because of the race issue but just because it would be incredibly corny. People are absolutely delirious I see. :|

However to squash the race issue which should NOT even be a question or argument in the first place. It just shows how absolutely ignorant and brainless human beings truly are. The senshi are ethnically Japanese PERIOD. If you say other wise you just wish for them to be another race due to your own insecurities and hatred. Some white people tend to think of themselves as the standard human being because we have all been subconsciously taught that white is better from a very young age, among other things. If you want to argue that statement you won't get a response from me because there is no arguing stupidity and denial. I am so sick and tired of seeing people argue about this imaginary race issue. Everything about these girls screams Japanese culture. The only argument you could make that would work and make you not look like an idiot is the Sailor Moon world is without race.

By the way, Japanese females look fine as blondes:
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdqud ... o1_500.jpg
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_md2y0 ... o1_500.jpg
http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/rui-kotobuki - Lots of blondes.
And if you want to say they look strange or odd, chances are YOU just want the senshi to be white because you're white.

_________________
Image
My deviantARTImage
Avatar art by Drachea Rannak


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Inherent problems with a live-action Hollywood movie
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:53 am 
Yoshi
Yoshi
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Jul 05, 2009
Posts: 7039
Location: Philippines
It will most likely revive the "its for gays" perception of most people again until they see that godawful DBZ crossover.

_________________
Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Inherent problems with a live-action Hollywood movie
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:46 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Jan 02, 2010
Posts: 1010
I would say go for teens and tweens! I think that's the perfect middle ground :happy:

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Inherent problems with a live-action Hollywood movie
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:29 am 
Planeta
Planeta
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Sep 09, 2011
Posts: 3212
Location: Richmond, VA, United States
Well, the thing is: Sailor Moon would not be marketable as a film directed towards older audiences. The series was created with young girls in mind, so that should be the target audience. That unfortunately may involve toning certain things down.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Inherent problems with a live-action Hollywood movie
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:10 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 51 months ago
inactive
User avatar
Joined: Nov 04, 2012
Posts: 460
Location: California
I really don't think making it for young girls is a good idea. There are a lot of things in SM that are not suitable for children. A good director is going to base it more on the Manga which leaves a lot of room for character development. Sexuality is addressed pretty quickly after the first story arc so I would be careful.

Now Codename Sailor V would be perfect for a younger audience. Of course kids are going to see it anyways, but I would hope everyone involved in the actual production would want to take a much more serious spin on the Sailor Moon story. That being said I think it would be easier to make the film directed for a very young audience, but I would not bother watching that film. Sounds like crap.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Inherent problems with a live-action Hollywood movie
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:20 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Jul 31, 2012
Posts: 2688
Location: Outer Space
Gender: Biseinen Angel
Other: Kuiper Belt
Young girls and fans who remember.
They may try to cash cow it and put
the innuendo in their for the male & lesbian
audience as well. Who knows :confused:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Inherent problems with a live-action Hollywood movie
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:43 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 59 months ago
inactive
Joined: Dec 07, 2012
Posts: 218
Presumably young girls and people who remember the show from their childhood when it aired in America.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Inherent problems with a live-action Hollywood movie
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:27 pm 
Yoshi
Yoshi
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Jul 05, 2009
Posts: 7039
Location: Philippines
What would be the target market for a :usagi: movie?

_________________
Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Inherent problems with a live-action Hollywood movie
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:31 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Jul 31, 2012
Posts: 2688
Location: Outer Space
Gender: Biseinen Angel
Other: Kuiper Belt
If it does get made, I doubt it would be good. I always assumed the girls to
be Japanese and that their different hair/eye color were a reflection of their personalities.
Not that I dont mind diversity. (even though I havent seen Power Rangers in several years I'm still waiting on a Black Pink Ranger, if they havent done it yet) but Idk how well it would do since most fans probably identify with the Japanese version more.
I think it depends on the director and writers as well too. IDK how many times a director or a group of writers make changes to a story that makes some fans go WTF?
On the live action side I've actually watched PGSM and it has a nice story to it and a good flow of romance and action throughout the
series run. (although those stuffed Luna and Artemis had me :| sometimes)
If they did make a SM American film it would be great if the actors and actress were big fans of the series as well and knew about the original version. I'd want them to deliver their lines and attacks like they are having fun and not dry like they just want a check and were forced to.. :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Moonies browsing this forum: No registered moonies and 17 guests



Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB

contact forum administrator