Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:40 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 283 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sailor Moon Mexican DVD official page launched!!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:35 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Source: Sailor Moon Obsession (Twitter)

@SMObss wrote:
Hey Moonies, I just RT'd a link to a Spanish Podcast by @ProgramaPlanB about Talk-Box Mercury and they're talking about interesting stuff...
So I'll quickly tweet out some highlights or things I thought were interesting:

So, they're asking the guys who are producing the LA Sailor Moon DVDs about the process for acquiring the license from Toei.
He said the process is painfully long, too long. He says they negotiated the contract for Sailor Moon for over two years. TWO YEARS.
That the approach to Japanese companies very difficult, you really have to sell them your idea for the series...
But that ultimately, Mrs. Takeuchi is holding ALL THE RIGHTS to the series and only if she likes your proposition, will she green-light it.
They had to come up with a well-planned business strategy of how to exploit her series. She may consult with Toei, but the decision is hers.
The Japanese remastered DVDs *HAD* to come out before any other country, which also slowed down the LA DVD production.
Toei borrows the master tapes so the DVDs have exceptional quality....
Mrs. Takeuchi ultimately gave the rights under one condition: For the series and proposals to be respected. No censorship whatsoever.
The idea behind a "talking box" (which the LA DVD boxes do when you press a button) was to push fans to buy original merch.
In Mexico and South America, piracy is a huuuuge problem, so they had to find creative ideas to get fans to buy the original box sets.
E.v.e.r.y.s.i.n.g.l.e. product in the market has to be approved by her. Even all these new HT and GEA stuff have been in her hands.
Companies have to go through a long process of approval for every item they want to sell, no matter how small.
If she *LOVES* it, she'll license it. So, go wild with shopping Moonies, Naoko-hime approves. XDDDD!
They're only vaguely hinting at companies, but I believe they're saying Irwin really got screwed over when Naoko pulled the license from USA
Naoko has become very strict with every single detail about her series, because other companies *coughDICcough* really screwed up.
She doesn't want that happening again.
They say it's difficult to please her, but not impossible. She is in love, IN LOVE with her series and will demand only the best quality.
LOLOLOL!!!!! They're saying it's better to have a strict Naoko who demands respect and not someone like Akira Toriyama (Dragon Ball) ....
who lets Hollywood destroy it xDDD! That's just their commentary....lawlage.
They're explaining that including dubbed songs also requires a license. They're in talks to see if they can include the songs in Spanish.
The reason why I'm tweeting all this out is because you can apply this knowledge to your doubts about why SM isn't in America yet....
The process for getting the license can take up to two years or more. Maybe FUNI has been working on it or in the middle of the process....
Naoko is very very strict about her stuff. Maybe she's not convinced about what proposals she's seing...
Her series CANNOT be censored in any way. Maybe FUNI need to re-dubb it from scratch...
I don't know, it's all speculation on my part. I'm just sharing this info so you can get to your own conclusions... :)
So whatever happens (or doesn't happen) is Naoko's decision alone. Toei has little-to-no say in this.
BTW, they mentioned Toei borrows out the master tapes in order to produce the DVDs. Maybe someone else in borrowing them ATM, who knows! XD

Here's the podcast she got the info from which is in Spanish.

http://www.anmtvla.com/2012/02/podcast- ... te-de.html

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:53 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 32 months ago
inactive
Interesting. I have to wonder how she has that much control over the anime, given that the anime, while a licensed use of her copyrighted characters, is a separate creation. Personally I find that a little immoral myself; the company that created the anime has no control over their own product. If the "no censorship" rule is true, it rules out a TV edit, because that'll be considered censorship. So unless there's some bugding in that rule, it'll likely be a home video only release, because some of that stuff is not going to fly on TV, even on cable.

It's sad if she's considering any changes bad. I mean even PGSM did things differently than the anime. Wouldn't it make sense for the dub to do the same?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:11 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
This explains why Sailor Moon hasn't been relicensed in France, Canada, Korea, Hungary, USA, Britain, Australia, and pretty much any country with a terribly censored dub. The good news is that the DiC version will never see the light of day in the US ever again. I do know that while Naoko approved of the voices (aside from Usagi's being too deep, that's what I heard anyway. If only she would've disapproved of Liza Balkan's Hong Kong voice acting...), she heavily disapproved of the edits. I honestly can't blame her. I wouldn't want to see my creation ripped to sheds by a low budget cartoon company that went belly up roughly a decade later.

@Nang The recent Italian broadcast included light TV edits, while the DVD releases are uncut. I guess it only applies to DVD.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:29 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 32 months ago
inactive
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
This explains why Sailor Moon hasn't been relicensed in France, Canada, Korea, Hungary, USA, Britain, Australia, and pretty much any country with a terribly censored dub. The good news is that the DiC version will never see the light of day in the US ever again.

You consider that good news, but for the fans of the DiC dub, it's devastating. Sure, you might not like the dub, but removing it as a possibility, even if you hate it, removes an element of choice.

On the other hand, censorship doesn't necessarily mean no name changes. After all, they didn't order a redub of Sailor Moon in Mexico, despite the Western names. There's still the possibility of a redub with the NA names that is uncensored. There's still hope for that goal, even if my personal goal is dashed.

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
I honestly can't blame her. I wouldn't want to see my creation ripped to sheds by a low budget cartoon company that went belly up roughly a decade later.

I don't like it when my very words are ripped to shreds by other people who don't like what I have to write, but it happens.

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
@Nang The recent Italian broadcast included light TV edits, while the DVD releases are uncut. I guess it only applies to DVD.

Well, it does not matter, since "light edits" mean just that, nothing significant. At best we'll get a Cloverway dub. I just don't think that's fair to the fans of the show as it aired in the US, but then again, Takeuchi doesn't want me and others like me to be Sailor Moon fans.

It's enough to make me stop buying the manga, even though I like it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:47 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Quote:
You consider that good news, but for the fans of the DiC dub, it's devastating. Sure, you might not like the dub, but removing it as a possibility, even if you hate it, removes an element of choice.

Even though there are lots of people out there who like and watch the DiC version, and I'm cool with it, I'm sure most of them would be open to a new version. Besides, it's not like the DiC version will ever go away. It's going to stay around for pretty much as long as Sailor Moon exists. It'll always have it's mark on the franchise, and whether we like it or not, it'll always be available to watch in some way, shape or form. I think we can all agree on that.

Quote:
On the other hand, censorship doesn't necessarily mean no name changes. After all, they didn't order a redub of Sailor Moon in Mexico, despite the Western names. There's still the possibility of a redub with the NA names that is uncensored. There's still hope for that goal, even if my personal goal is dashed.

Based on the impression I've seen, it only applies to cuts and visual edits for existing dubs, but I'm sure Naoko would prefer a redub use the original names.

Quote:
I don't like it when my very words are ripped to shreds by other people who don't like what I have to write, but it happens.

That comment wasn't even directed toward you... I wasn't ripping anything you said to shreds.

Quote:
Well, it does not matter, since "light edits" mean just that, nothing significant. At best we'll get a Cloverway dub. I just don't think that's fair to the fans of the show as it aired in the US, but then again, Takeuchi doesn't want me and others like me to be Sailor Moon fans.

I wouldn't go that far. I'm sure she appreciates all her fans. She may dislike a particular version, but never did that article say she disapproves of fans of said version. She just wants SM to be released as intended. That has nothing to do with "not wanting" certain individuals to be fans. I don't think she'd have a problem with anyone having nostalgia for her show, even if it is through a version she disapproves. This isn't Miyazaki's "Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind" (which was heavily butchered for it's original English language release from New World Pictures to the point Miyazaki wanted fans to erase it from their minds resulting in him ordering strictly no cuts for any of his movies ever again). Never has Naoko said she wanted fans to erase DiC's version from their minds. She just wants the show to be distributed as intended.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:08 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
It makes sense why the US version still hasn't gotten the green light. As far as the Latin American dub, I think they got away with it simply because they stuck to the original scripts, pretty much only changing the names (first season anyway) to reflect the DiC name dubs, but based their version off the original Japanese scripts. No music or video edits were made.

I'd read a couple of years back how Naoko Takeuchi was really strict with anything regarding Sailor Moon, and of course, she knows she's sitting on a hot creation, so she wants to milk it for all its worth, but also wants it to be released in accordance to her wishes.

It makes me wonder what kinds of approvals companies here in the US are proposing that are getting rejected. I mean the "Talk Box" idea is simple enough for a release in Mexico, surely the companies here can come up with something brighter haha

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:47 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Quote:
Mrs. Takeuchi ultimately gave the rights under one condition: For the series and proposals to be respected. No censorship whatsoever. Naoko has become very strict with every single detail about her series, because other companies *coughDICcough* really screwed up. She doesn't want that happening again.

Beautiful, just beautiful! :3 Good for you, Naoko-sensei. God has spoken, guys!

Nangbaby wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
This explains why Sailor Moon hasn't been relicensed in France, Canada, Korea, Hungary, USA, Britain, Australia, and pretty much any country with a terribly censored dub. The good news is that the DiC version will never see the light of day in the US ever again.

Oh well, too bad. Have a nice life :3

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
That comment wasn't even directed toward you... I wasn't ripping anything you said to shreds

You'd best ignore her when she makes ridiculous comments like this. She's the victim, doncha know, and she wants everyone to know it.

Nangbaby wrote:
I just don't think that's fair to the fans of the show as it aired in the US, but then again, Takeuchi doesn't want me and others like me to be Sailor Moon fans.

And to the rest of us, that's not so bad. lol But this comment just proves how you like to twist peoples' words. Then you whine about how people "rip your words to shreds."

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:06 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
From listening to the podcast and watching how the releases in Mexico are unfolding, it seems like they were able to secure the rights somewhat easier because, while they treat it as a business, their main focus is to release the show in the way they know the fans want it: Limited Edition box sets with lots of nice goodies.

They are anime fans above the business aspect, and with every dvd launch party and con, they feel more accessible, sort of like, fans for the fans.

With the US companies here, while they do a good job of releasing things, don't really have that "fans for the fans" feel. They come off as strictly business. Maybe its why Takeuchi is worried that her release will be messed with again in the US? I don't know, it's all speculation, but only time will tell I guess haha.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:56 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Vilhem wrote:
Maybe its why Takeuchi is worried that her release will be messed with again in the US? I don't know, it's all speculation, but only time will tell I guess haha.

I completely understand if that's the case. Plus, There's the fact a redub will cost a lot of money and maybe that's why they're waiting?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:25 pm 
Quasar
Quasar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Okay, something here does not add up. First we heard that Naoko denied a redub for the Brazillian relaunch (when its old dub had some censorship in it), and now we hear that she's ordering for "no censorship" for these international releases? How does that add up? :?

Nangbaby wrote:
Interesting. I have to wonder how she has that much control over the anime, given that the anime, while a licensed use of her copyrighted characters, is a separate creation. Personally I find that a little immoral myself; the company that created the anime has no control over their own product.
Maybe Toei sold the rights to it to her or something.

Nangbaby wrote:
If the "no censorship" rule is true, it rules out a TV edit, because that'll be considered censorship. So unless there's some bugding in that rule, it'll likely be a home video only release, because some of that stuff is not going to fly on TV, even on cable.
Just what I was thinking.

Nangbaby wrote:
It's sad if she's considering any changes bad. I mean even PGSM did things differently than the anime. Wouldn't it make sense for the dub to do the same?
Well, she was much more involved with PGSM than she was the anime. Since she didn't helm the anime like she did PGSM, I'm guessing she doesn't want much more deviation from the manga in it than there already is.

Nangbaby wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
I honestly can't blame her. I wouldn't want to see my creation ripped to sheds by a low budget cartoon company that went belly up roughly a decade later.
What matters is that you don't like it when it happens, and, apparently, neither does Naoko. Though, in her case, there's a way to prevent such from happening.

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Quote:

That comment wasn't even directed toward you... I wasn't ripping anything you said to shreds.
She was just using the example you gave (having "[your] creation ripped to shreds") in her own shoes. Sheesh. :roll:

Sabrblade, I love you.
Neo Moonlight wrote:
Wow! You sure know your stuff, Sabr!
Prince Rose wrote:
thats Sabrblade for ya always in perfect detail

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:13 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 8 months ago
inactive
They also said Naoko has her own Talk Box too. :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:16 am 
Planeta
Planeta
DJ Tomoe wrote:

Naoko probably owns everything Sailor Moon created. She's even a fan of bootleg and hand-made items too. I'd LOVE to have a peek at her collection.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:04 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
As far as Takeuchi retaining all permission for licensing..it's probably something they worked out in the initial contract. Normally, all rights to the anime adaptation would reside with the animation company, not the creator. Somehow, Naoko was able to get the rights to the anime.

The Mexican releases are proving to be successful, and its in a format the fans really like. Lots of other things happening at the same time (Fan Club, launch parties, meetings with the voice actors at cons, all kinds of promotion going on). Just a shame I can't participate in some of the contests and the official magazine subscription because I don't reside in Mexico. :(

Oh well, at least I have the DVDs. And they're very well authored (aside from the annoying delay when selecting episodes, which hopefully they'll correct with the Mercury Talk Box)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:20 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Yen-sama wrote:
DJ Tomoe wrote:

Naoko probably owns everything Sailor Moon created. She's even a fan of bootleg and hand-made items too. I'd LOVE to have a peek at her collection.

She's shown some of it on the old official Sailor Moon site - too bad those pics are gone now after the site revamp. :(

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:58 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Vilhem wrote:
As far as Takeuchi retaining all permission for licensing..it's probably something they worked out in the initial contract. Normally, all rights to the anime adaptation would reside with the animation company, not the creator. Somehow, Naoko was able to get the rights to the anime.

The Mexican releases are proving to be successful, and its in a format the fans really like. Lots of other things happening at the same time (Fan Club, launch parties, meetings with the voice actors at cons, all kinds of promotion going on). Just a shame I can't participate in some of the contests and the official magazine subscription because I don't reside in Mexico. :(

Oh well, at least I have the DVDs. And they're very well authored (aside from the annoying delay when selecting episodes, which hopefully they'll correct with the Mercury Talk Box)

Speaking of which, when DOES the second talk box come out?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:07 am 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
They haven't announced a specific date yet. They had initially said they'd have a date by the end of January, but then apologized and said they were being delayed due to several reasons.

As of now there's no specific date, but I'd imagine it's coming sometime soon.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:23 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Ah, I see... Where can these sets be currently purchased? I haven't been able to find an online retailer at all (not that I plan on buying them, but I know a few who might be interested).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:38 am 
inactive
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Ah, I see... Where can these sets be currently purchased? I haven't been able to find an online retailer at all (not that I plan on buying them, but I know a few who might be interested).

http://www.mixup.com.mx/mixup/Product.a ... 3006346439
Discounted! The team says they will have news about the 2nd release by April. :sad:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:43 am 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

Blockbuster in Mexico (http://blockbuster.com.mx/bbxMovieDesc. ... ram1=38374)

Mix Up (http://www.mixup.com.mx/mixup/Product.a ... 3006346439)

Capital 8 (Official distributor) (http://www.capital8.com.mx/shop/index.p ... &Itemid=71)

Sanborns (http://www.sanborns.com.mx/sanborns/pro ... &dept_id=3)

There's more but I'm lazy at digging through all the facebook and club website posts haha. Those links should be enough though.

Let me know if your friends need help ordering too :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:25 pm 
inactive
The second volume comes out in June!
Here's Rosy Aguirre, Ami's voice actor. She confirmed she just finished recording her lines for the Talk Box and that she will be signing autographs for the Box's release event.

Last edited by DJ Tomoe on Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:29 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
I reaaaaaally want to buy the talk boxes.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:35 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
DJ Tomoe wrote:
The second volume comes out in June!
Here's Rosy Aguirre, Ami's voice actor. She confirmed she just finished recording her lines for the Talk Box and that she will be signing autographs for the Box's release event.

She dressed in blue color. :cool:

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:40 pm 
inactive
Here's another pic.
I really hope they release the interview with her soon. :mrgreen:

Edit:
BTW, Paty Acevedo (Serena) was in a convention recently and she talked about the censorship in Sailor Moon. She also encouraged fans to send mails to TV channels requesting SM.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:22 am 
Planeta
Planeta
For anyone who wants to buy the talk boxes, this site has the first volume and ships internationally.

The price is in pesos, I think. It comes to about $41 USD. and contains episodes 1-23. If they do two for each season, they'll eventually have one box for each of the main senshi :3

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:26 pm 
inactive
Yen wrote:
For anyone who wants to buy the talk boxes, this site has the first volume and ships internationally.

The price is in pesos, I think. It comes to about $41 USD. and contains episodes 1-23. If they do two for each season, they'll eventually have one box for each of the main senshi :3

The problem is that Tuxedo Mask will get his own box! Maybe one of the outers will get her own box if they release a DVD of the movies.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:42 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
DJ Tomoe wrote:
Yen wrote:

The problem is that Tuxedo Mask will get his own box! Maybe one of the outers will get her own box if they release a DVD of the movies.

Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto should share S box 1, and Saturn should be alone on S box 2 (Or maybe paired with Chibi Moon), that way the starlights get a box, and Kakyuu & Chibi Chibi should also get a box.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:06 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 4 months ago
inactive
I need to get these. After witnessing the greatness of Dragon Ball's Mexican dub I must have these (but then there's the region coding problem...)! Lately I've only been interested in watching Spanish anime dubs.

Homura Akemi can hairflip to my heart.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:35 am 
Planeta
Planeta
GotenDaisuki wrote:
I need to get these. After witnessing the greatness of Dragon Ball's Mexican dub I must have these (but then there's the region coding problem...)! Lately I've only been interested in watching Spanish anime dubs.

You could get a region-free player for very cheap to fix that problem.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:58 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Most Latin American DVDs I've seen are Region 1 and 4, so region coding shouldn't be a problem

I've played my dvds in my laptop clean (no region software) and they work fine

Also yeah, the Talk Box series was made to feature each senshi, maybe Tuxedo Mask too :cool:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:06 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
I think these will likely be two boxes per season meaning:

SEASON 1:
Box 1: Sailor Moon
Box 2: Sailor Mercury

R:
Box 3: Sailor Mars
Box 4: Sailor Jupiter

S:
Box 5: Sailor Venus
Box 6: Sailor Mini-Moon

SUPER S:
Box 7: Sailor Uranus
Box 8: Sailor Neptune

STARS:
Box 9: Sailor Pluto
Box 10: Sailor Saturn

NJ_ wrote:
GotenDaisuki wrote:

You could get a region-free player for very cheap to fix that problem.

The Mexican DVDs are Region 1.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 283 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next