Naoko's inspirations (magazines, films, fashion ads)

  • This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

MariaTenebre

Luna Crescens
Jul 22, 2009
4,781
178
165
#2
Very informative even with some references I didn't know like that pic of Usagi and Mamoru dancing being inspired by that movie of Alec Baldwin and Kim Basinger.
 

Clow

Luna Crescens
Jul 29, 2012
3,440
190
165
#3
I could swear that the dress Pluto is wearing had been designed by Thierry Mugler or Gianni Versace, but nope, Karl Lagerfeld designed it for Chanel. Unbelievable. It is a beautiful dress, but it doesn't reflect Chanel.

I wonder if designers like Thierry Mugler and Christian Lacroix are aware that Naoko blatantly copied their designs. Calaveras and Koan look identical to their models.
 
Sep 24, 2008
3,628
36
15
#4
"Inspired" haha. Naoko really loved her fashion to the extent where she took 2 designs to form 2 new characters.
 
May 31, 2009
755
141
165
#6
There's a difference between getting inspired by something and adding your own style or twist to it and blatantly copying something. That's what Naoko did for a lot of the material she used, especially when it came to costume design. If I were one of the designers she ripped off, I would have definitely sued her.
 

Umino

Luna Crescens
Jun 6, 2006
2,882
200
165
29
NJ
#7
Finally! Somebody uncovered the Snow Dancer statue. I'd love to own that piece, so beautiful.

Also, I feel like this is relevant...
 

Rika-Chicchi

Staff member
Site Admin
May 7, 2009
36,528
517
665
#8
One day Takeuchi somehow came across w/ that clip, & this was her response while watching it: [insert Esmeraude's signature laugh]

I bet there're still others not covered in the clip. :mischief:
 
#9
Inspired??? Well, that's a lot of inspiration. Were some of her inspiration in regards to the tight schedule she had when the anime and manga were airing concurrently? That's straight up taking designs but I mean it's all good. We all extend out talents to each other one way or another. I was really diggin that Koan outfit.

It's funny to note that Sailor Moon inspires a lot of outfit designs as well these days.

Anyone have that vid of the model on the runway and her outfit gets Sailor Moon crystal power dress flipped. Her Universe fashion runway.
 

Rika-Chicchi

Staff member
Site Admin
May 7, 2009
36,528
517
665
#10
Star Angel Haruki said:
Inspired??? Well, that's a lot of inspiration. Were some of her inspiration in regards to the tight schedule she had when the anime and manga were airing concurrently? That's straight up taking designs but I mean it's all good. We all extend out talents to each other one way or another. I was really diggin that Koan outfit.
I remember back then when I was in elementary/middle school, we dubbed "copying" as "referencing" in regard to our homeworks - when we asked a classmate, who'd already finished a homework, to let us see that homework, we said, "pls lend me your homework for my reference" (of course, both parties knew what that meant XD ).
 

C-17

Lapis Lunaris
Mar 26, 2013
178
8
5
#11
Clow said:
I wonder if designers like Thierry Mugler and Christian Lacroix are aware that Naoko blatantly copied their designs.
As long as she doesn't plagiarizes her fellow mangakas she'll be fine :mischief:
 

MementoNepenthe

Aurorae Lunares
Mar 8, 2012
3,540
1,027
1,665
29
#14
I think Naoko's always been fairly upfront about ~taking inspiration~ from various sources. In the notes that accompanied "The Lover of Snow Princess Kaguya" and "Casablanca Memories" she mentions the Snow Dancer statuette, the lamp that inspired the Rain Tree, and I believe whatever the source for Kaguya's design was. In the artbooks, she frequently mentions the ad or poster or whatever artwork inspired her illustrations. She may not have necessarily cited every single source, but I don't think she's ever pretended her work was 100% original. Most artists borrow from some source or other.
 

Rika-Chicchi

Staff member
Site Admin
May 7, 2009
36,528
517
665
#15
MementoNepenthe said:
I think Naoko's always been fairly upfront about ~taking inspiration~ from various sources. In the notes that accompanied "The Lover of Snow Princess Kaguya" and "Casablanca Memories" she mentions the Snow Dancer statuette, the lamp that inspired the Rain Tree, and I believe whatever the source for Kaguya's design was. In the artbooks, she frequently mentions the ad or poster or whatever artwork inspired her illustrations. She may not have necessarily cited every single source, but I don't think she's ever pretended her work was 100% original. Most artists borrow from some source or other.
I also don't think so, nor do I think she intentionally hides anything regarding this matter, because I believe she didn't/doesn't think there's any problem about it at all. :P
 

Clow

Luna Crescens
Jul 29, 2012
3,440
190
165
#16
Of course, Naoko's biggest inspiration was "Bishoujo Kamen Poitrine," and she admitted being influenced by Poitrine in a book called 不滅の戦隊ヒーロー大全集, or Immortal Sentai Hero Daizenshu Collection.

From Wikipedia:
漫画家の武内直子は、代表作『美少女戦士セーラームーン』を連載する上でこの作品に影響を受けたことを語っている[11][2]。

Poitrine was created by none other than Shotaro Ishinomori (Kamen Rider) and it was a huge hit in Japan in 1990. It sold toys like crazy.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rF89LNMZWLA[/youtube]

 
Sep 14, 2017
87
13
15
24
Trampa, Florida
#19
I would sell both of my kidneys for the Palladio Dress/ Serenity's dress, I love everything about it- Serenity obviously has a slightly different design with the bodice being a little different, and the shoulder pieces looking more like armor than fabric, plus the extra layers and flowiness but the Palladio dress is just...swoon. It looks like something that was found in an ancient temple, which is fitting since it was based off of ancient Greek columns. Serenity's dress is better for artwork and animation with all of those layers, but if there were an actual Princess of the Moon I imagine she would wear that dress.

The other dress (the winged one, can't remember the designer) has a beautiful shape but it just looks so cheesy to me with those fabrics, I like what Naoko did with that silhouette for NQS/Princess Serenity better (though I actually like Anime NQS more than Manga NQS)

I knew about the lotus shape being ripped but I didn't know about the name or the necklace! I like the silver chain better than the original gold chain, though, so I don't regret getting the gorgeous replica I have coming right now (hilariously also made with a Swarovski crystal- full circle much?). I'll always be a bit bothered that the SC was inspired by a candle holder :lol:

The Art Nouveau inspiration is nice, honestly- that kind of aesthetic lends itself well to SM, but maybe that's because so much of Sailor Moon is inspired by that kind of artwork lol. If Naoko is going to steal, at least she has good taste. :mischief:
 
Likes: blondibear_17

Clow

Luna Crescens
Jul 29, 2012
3,440
190
165
#20
It is a Romanesque dress that celebrates Palladian architecture and is suitable to the character Naoko created.



Personally, I don't like Dior.

Speaking of Palladian architecture...



Serena-Hime said:
The Art Nouveau inspiration is nice, honestly- that kind of aesthetic lends itself well to SM, but maybe that's because so much of Sailor Moon is inspired by that kind of artwork lol. If Naoko is going to steal, at least she has good taste. :mischief:
For a young woman in her early-20s, she knew a lot about art, architecture, and fashion. It is amazing.