Original Sailor Moon anime is censored! O_O

  • This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Maraviollantes

Sailor Moon fan #1
Staff member
Site Admin
Jan 3, 2006
9,666
938
665
Embelyon
shoujocity.com
#1
Some really interesting info I found on this website: http://uchigawamoon.cscblog.jp/page:24



While before we mocked and bashed silly DiC censoring of body lines and pantyshots, now it seems that original Sailor Moon was censored in Japan, too :dead:
The first five frames on the screenshot above show the original version initially shown in Japan. The last frame shows the edited version that was used later on, including all DVD releases. ADV DVDs and R2 DVDs released in 2005 contain censored version, too (checked right now). If this particular moment was censored, there are high chances that it wasn't the only edit. If anyone has further info about other edits in the Japanese version, please share. I'm kind of surprised that what everyone until now believed was uncut and original series turns out to be just a censored edition :eek:
 
Jun 5, 2008
560
1
0
#2
Interesting... Quite the head-scratcher, because we see more than that in other shots in other episodes (and in PGSM), and we see even more at the very last one.
 
Dec 11, 2007
6,356
2
0
#4
SerenityMoonGodness said:
wow interesting I wonder How much is censor~ :? Does that mean I could have seen more :tuxspeedomask: Mamoru behind in the hot tub episode! :mrgreen:
Funny thing. I just had the same thought! :p

Turn around! Turn around! :eek:


Jump, Seiya! Jump! :D
 
May 24, 2009
1,198
2
0
39
www.endymionandserenity.com
#5
Queen Eris said:
SerenityMoonGodness said:
wow interesting I wonder How much is censor~ :? Does that mean I could have seen more :tuxspeedomask: Mamoru behind in the hot tub episode! :mrgreen:
Funny thing. I just had the same thought! :p

Turn around! Turn around! :eek:


Jump, Seiya! Jump! :D
If only chibi chibi gotten that towel away from Seiya in time to help poor lonely usagi out!! :p
 

Lunar Archivist

Staff member
Site Admin
Aug 31, 2003
679
2
0
Beaconsfield, Canada
#8
SerenityMoonGodness said:
If only chibi chibi gotten that towel away from Seiya in time to help poor lonely usagi out!! :p
I always laugh my ass off at that scene because Ami shows her true perversion by covering her eyes with her hands but peeking through the gaps between her fingers. :lol:
 

Sailor T

Luna Crescens
Jul 11, 2009
183
0
0
my fantasy world
#9
LOL I think Ami probably knows a lot more than she lets on. Like in S when she sees Haruka picking Michiru's hand in the love contest, she says "I wonder if they really are in THAT kind of relationship"
:cool:
 

Maraviollantes

Sailor Moon fan #1
Staff member
Site Admin
Jan 3, 2006
9,666
938
665
Embelyon
shoujocity.com
#14
Nekorin said:
What is that anyway, the pantyshot blog? Are you sure they're not the ones doctoring it? I can't read what they're saying, but if it's true this is quite shocking.
If you ask if it's not photoshopped, then no, it isn't. Yes, it's a blog dedicated to capturing screenshots of all "erotic" moments from the anime. My knowledge of Japanese is not enough to provide good description, unfortunately. It says something about painting by black color and episode broadcast... It would be cool if someone who knows the language made an accurate translation of this info for us.

知る人ぞ知る「予告ではパンチラがあったのに本編では消されてる」というやつである。10話のマーズ登場回だ。

 火川神社に近い仙台坂上から出るバスに乗った女生徒が消えるという事件を調査するうさぎとルナ。しかし、うさぎはそのバスに乗るのが怖くてバス停にしがみついて抵抗。華奢な子猫のルナが思いっきりスカートを引っ張って乗せようとする…シーン。

 3列目左までが予告で使われたカット。スカートを引っ張られてお尻のパンツがチラチラとのぞかせる。まあ、別段萌える要素もないがサービス的なパンチラである。しかし、翌週の10話本放送(右下の画像)では見事なまでに黒塗りされて、スカートの影で見えませんでしたーということになっていた。

 予告でこんなシーンが出たから抗議が来て差し替えたのか?しかしたった1週間で本放送のものを差し替えたりするんだろうか。でも、正直言ってこの程度で抗議が来るならこれから5年間の数々のシーンはなんなんだ?ってことになるのだが…??どっちにしてもこの真相は謎…というか誰か知ってます?
fighter4luv said:
What were those first shots taken from? They look too clear to be television rips, or even vhs.
No idea. Not from DVDs, that's for sure.

Siroh32 said:
Interesting... Quite the head-scratcher, because we see more than that in other shots in other episodes (and in PGSM), and we see even more at the very last one.
Logic says that if they were censoring it, it can't be just this one insignificant detail. What if even episode 200 all of us saw is just a mild censored version of the original? :dead:
 
#15
fighter4luv said:
What were those first shots taken from? They look too clear to be television rips, or even vhs.
No idea. Not from DVDs, that's for sure.

Very true. All DVD releases and VHS have that black shading... haven't seen the laserdisc ones though... I should buy a player and check mine :P
 

Jadeite2

Site Admin
Dec 31, 2003
2,760
16
15
#16
According to the text you quoted, you're technically incorrect. The screenshot with the white panties isn't from the original broadcast, but rather, from the "next episode" preview (either from the end of episode 9 or from the TV ads that ran during the week before the episode; it's unclear which he's referring to.) The black panties were broadcast in episode 10 on TV the following week, not just on the home video releases. The author then wonders aloud what caused them to decide to censor it just one week after the preview aired, and asks if anyone knows the real reason. He's as clueless as we are.

Maraviollantes said:
Logic says that if they were censoring it, it can't be just this one insignificant detail. What if even episode 200 all of us saw is just a mild censored version of the original? :dead:
I have off-air copies of episodes 197-200; tapes were already circulating soon after it aired. Blew my mind at the time I got them even though I didn't understand a word that was being said.
 
#18
Jadeite2 said:
According to the text you quoted, you're technically incorrect. The screenshot with the white panties isn't from the original broadcast, but rather, from the "next episode" preview (either from the end of episode 9 or from the TV ads that ran during the week before the episode; it's unclear which he's referring to.) The black panties were broadcast in episode 10 on TV the following week, not just on the home video releases. The author then wonders aloud what caused them to decide to censor it just one week after the preview aired, and asks if anyone knows the real reason. He's as clueless as we are.
There were occasionally animation clips and changes in the next episode previews. so maybe that white patch was a colour error on the cel, or the directors being naughty... possibly people there were complaints when that preview was aired, so the white was just painted over... who knows.

Just checked my DVDs, and yes the white patch of underwear is used at the end of episode 9's "next episode" segment.

So those top screen shots are DVD ones ^_^