Sailor Senshi and martial arts

  • This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

lord Martiya

Luna Crescens
Dec 11, 2015
1,303
153
165
33
#1
We have all seen Makoto, Haruka and Minako show martial arts prowess, but does anyone have any idea of what martial arts they use?


EDIT: A list of identified martial arts styles

Haruka: Pankration (?)
Makoto: Jeet Kune Do
Michiru: Pankration (?)
Minako: Savate
Rei: Taekwondo
 

Rika-Chicchi

Staff member
Site Admin
May 7, 2009
37,473
963
665
#3
^ More precisely, Jeet Kune Do, a school of martial arts founded by the master himself. :)

As far as PGSM is concerned, the school of martial arts the Senshi practiced is Ballet-fu. :cool:
 
Aug 27, 2012
3,734
81
15
34
Cuddling With Ami-Chan!
#4
Rika-Chicchi said:
^ More precisely, Jeet Kune Do, a school of martial arts founded by the master himself. :)

As far as PGSM is concerned, the school of martial arts the Senshi practiced is Ballet-fu. :cool:
Jeet Kune Do translated it means "To Fight Without Fighting" and I never noticed Mako-Chan use Bruce Lee's fightning style good catch ;)
 

Rika-Chicchi

Staff member
Site Admin
May 7, 2009
37,473
963
665
#5
AmiMizunosHusband said:
Rika-Chicchi said:
^ More precisely, Jeet Kune Do, a school of martial arts founded by the master himself. :)

As far as PGSM is concerned, the school of martial arts the Senshi practiced is Ballet-fu. :cool:
Jeet Kune Do translated it means "To Fight Without Fighting" and I never noticed Mako-Chan use Bruce Lee's fightning style good catch ;)
If not the style, just the form, then (re: those pics posted above). :wink:
 

Animefan

Lapis Lunaris
Jun 25, 2015
244
0
0
#6
Rika-Chicchi said:
^ More precisely, Jeet Kune Do, a school of martial arts founded by the master himself. :)

As far as PGSM is concerned, the school of martial arts the Senshi practiced is Ballet-fu. :cool:
Yup, I think the anime's "kung-fu" moves were definitely better than the live-action moves of PGSM. The live-action just had the senshi doing stupid cartwheels all the time, or maybe the occasional kick that reveals their panties (ugh). Yeah, I know those actresses weren't trained in kung-fu or had a background in it, but they could at least try to pretend to have some real moves, that is what camera tricks are all about. At least the anime had more variety of moves.
 

kamen_glider

Lapis Lunaris
Jul 10, 2012
182
3
0
#7
Makoto doing Bruce Lee moves is so cool, holy sh*t I never noticed that.

This is often overlooked, but in the anime both Michiru and Rei show knowledge of martial arts but it's never made explicit that they practice it (unlike Makoto who is shown to practice karate and says she practices kung fu?)
 

lord Martiya

Luna Crescens
Dec 11, 2015
1,303
153
165
33
#8
I may have identified what martial art Minako uses: Savate. If nothing else she has a propensity to kick with her toe (a characteristic of both Savate and untrained fighters), and once trained the infamous kick she gave Makoto is quite similar to the chassé frontal figure.
kamen_glider said:
This is often overlooked, but in the anime both Michiru and Rei show knowledge of martial arts but it's never made explicit that they practice it (unlike Makoto who is shown to practice karate and says she practices kung fu?)
Rei I knew practiced Kyudo (Japanese archery, with links to Shinto rites. No need to say where she most likely got started) or Kyujutsu (the military ancestor of Kyudo. Same sacred links) by how far she draws the bow in the Mars Flame Sniper (western archery rarely draws the bow further than the cheeckbone), but I missed her and Michiru using hand-to-hand combat beyond that one hold Neptune used in the fight against Sailor Moon. Anyone has images?
 

kamen_glider

Lapis Lunaris
Jul 10, 2012
182
3
0
#9
lord Martiya said:
Rei I knew practiced Kyudo (Japanese archery, with links to Shinto rites. No need to say where she most likely got started) or Kyujutsu (the military ancestor of Kyudo. Same sacred links) by how far she draws the bow in the Mars Flame Sniper (western archery rarely draws the bow further than the cheeckbone), but I missed her and Michiru using hand-to-hand combat beyond that one hold Neptune used in the fight against Sailor Moon. Anyone has images?
Sorry I should've been more specific. Off the top of my head in episode 13 Rei performs something that looks like a "front snap kick" found from taekwondo and in the SuperS movie she performs a hand assisted elbow strike also found in taekwondo. In episode 124, both Uranus and Neptune display some sort of hand to hand combat background when battling Germatoid.
 

Rika-Chicchi

Staff member
Site Admin
May 7, 2009
37,473
963
665
#10
Animefan said:
Rika-Chicchi said:
^ More precisely, Jeet Kune Do, a school of martial arts founded by the master himself. :)

As far as PGSM is concerned, the school of martial arts the Senshi practiced is Ballet-fu. :cool:
Yup, I think the anime's "kung-fu" moves were definitely better than the live-action moves of PGSM. The live-action just had the senshi doing stupid cartwheels all the time, or maybe the occasional kick that reveals their panties (ugh). Yeah, I know those actresses weren't trained in kung-fu or had a background in it, but they could at least try to pretend to have some real moves, that is what camera tricks are all about.
And they could've used stunt doubles fluent in martial arts, too, as those "stupid cartwheels" & other maneuvers were already done by stunt doubles. It'd be more costly, tho.
 

Animefan

Lapis Lunaris
Jun 25, 2015
244
0
0
#11
Rika-Chicchi said:
Animefan said:
Rika-Chicchi said:
^ More precisely, Jeet Kune Do, a school of martial arts founded by the master himself. :)

As far as PGSM is concerned, the school of martial arts the Senshi practiced is Ballet-fu. :cool:
Yup, I think the anime's "kung-fu" moves were definitely better than the live-action moves of PGSM. The live-action just had the senshi doing stupid cartwheels all the time, or maybe the occasional kick that reveals their panties (ugh). Yeah, I know those actresses weren't trained in kung-fu or had a background in it, but they could at least try to pretend to have some real moves, that is what camera tricks are all about.
And they could've used stunt doubles fluent in martial arts, too, as those "stupid cartwheels" & other maneuvers were already done by stunt doubles. It'd be more costly, tho.
I suppose.

Still, if even the Power Rangers...cough, sorry, I mean the Super Sentai series, in all its incarnations, can manage somewhat more convincing fight scenes, there is no excuse that PGSM couldn't. One can actually manage some pretty impressive fights on a shoe-string budget. For example, Guyver 2 (the far superior sequel to the crappy Guyver) had a tiny budget, but thanks to the ingenious director/make-up artist Steve Wang, they pulled off some real cool scenes.
 

Rika-Chicchi

Staff member
Site Admin
May 7, 2009
37,473
963
665
#12
^ Maybe PGSM didn't even have Sentai shows' budgets? lol I really dunno, but agree that to an extent they could've offset the disadvantage w/ better action direction. :)
 

lord Martiya

Luna Crescens
Dec 11, 2015
1,303
153
165
33
#13
Edited the first post with a list of the known styles.
kamen_glider said:
Sorry I should've been more specific. Off the top of my head in episode 13 Rei performs something that looks like a "front snap kick" found from taekwondo and in the SuperS movie she performs a hand assisted elbow strike also found in taekwondo. In episode 124, both Uranus and Neptune display some sort of hand to hand combat background when battling Germatoid.
Thanks. And I think I identified Haruka and Michiru's style by watching the episode. If nothing else, their stance before fighting Germatoid resembled that of Pankration, and what they did to the Germatoids was compatible with an altered form. If confirmed, such a violent style would be appropriate.
 

lord Martiya

Luna Crescens
Dec 11, 2015
1,303
153
165
33
#14
Bringing back this thread because I just noticed there's another confirmed martial artist: Gurikazu Amano, from Codename: Sailor V.

[Direct linked image removed by KnM]

Does anyone have any idea of his specific style?


P.S.: In the manga Eudial also presents herself as a martial artist, but as she uses only a single undistinct kick we can't identify her style.
 
Last edited by a moderator: