Saint Seiya= the shounen version of Sailor Moon

  • This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

agent9149

Lumen Cinererum
Jan 7, 2011
367
4
0
#1
I really enjoyed saint seiya growing up. I started getting into it because it reminded me of sailor
(not to mention the abundunce of bishonen :mischief: ). Does anyone else think saint seiya is the male opposite to sailor moon.
 

Vilhem

Lumen Cinererum
Sep 22, 2011
411
7
5
#6
Guest said:
That wasn't Saint Seiya. That was Samurai Troopers.
I'm not talking about the English version of Sailor Moon :lol:

In Mexico, when the newly dubbed eps of Sailor Moon were airing, they had Magic Knight Rayearth and Saint Seiya showing before. I remember I used to always come home and record all three shows onto vhs :)
 

SailorSugababe

Aurorae Lunares
Sep 8, 2011
1,472
511
665
#7
Saint Seiya is amazing. I just rewatched whole series. I suggest you to watch/read Saint Seiya Lost Canvas. Its a prequel of SS made by different (female) artist. I would never dare to say that remake is better than original BUT this time IT IS. If Saint Seiya was O M G then Saint Seiya Lost Canvas is O M F G!!! Amazingness
 

NJ_

Gurges Ater
Oct 31, 2009
9,639
4,081
1,665
38
Wallington, NJ
#8
SailorSugababe said:
I suggest you to watch/read Saint Seiya Lost Canvas. Its a prequel of SS made by different (female) artist. I would never dare to say that remake is better than original BUT this time IT IS. If Saint Seiya was O M G then Saint Seiya Lost Canvas is O M F G!!! Amazingness
That's good to hear, i've been watching the show on Crunchyroll lately and it's good from what i've seen so far. Hopefully i can finish it all by Sunday.
 
Apr 26, 2011
8,653
5
0
32
"Dai Shocker's Hell Festival."
#11
agent9149 said:
Prince Rose said:
kikyo hino said:
Saint Seiya was created in the 80's so if anything Sailor Moon is the shojo version of Saint Seiya.
agreed :o
its a shame crossovers of the two were not really popular. It would make more sense than a ranma crossover
I think that the Ranma crossovers are due to SM probably having — or had — the most fanon of any televised anime in history, making it a sort of stepsister show to Ranma ½. Fan Fic crossovers between Sailor Moon and Ranma ½ are common to the point that the pairing is its own sub-genre (the Fuku Fic).

But I would rather see the Senshi team with the Seiya characters. It would make more sense.
 

Vilhem

Lumen Cinererum
Sep 22, 2011
411
7
5
#12
Haha me and my friends used to draw crossovers all the time, pairing the senshi with the bronze saints.

Andromeda x Sailor Jupiter was always the most amusing pairing. Feminine bronze saint paired with macho female warrior :D
 
Sep 13, 2009
10,898
573
665
34
Tampa, FL
#14
Yen-sama said:
Sailor Moon was inspired by the Tokusatsu series, Super Sentai.
Specifically Goranger and Zyuranger were the ones Naoko pointed out.
 
Sep 9, 2011
3,412
307
165
30
Richmond, VA, United States
#16
I've always thought of Sailor Moon being a "female" Dragon Ball Z. Both series are action/adventure, and deal with similar-ish plots (but Sailor Moon's is arguably more developed). Even though most of DBZ's warriors are male, toward the end of the series, we get some female fighters (like Videl, Android 18, and Pan). But yeah, Saint Seiya/Knights of the Zodiac is a little more similar. It has teams of fantasy/mythical fighters, it's all one gender (mostly), and the plot is again, similar-ish. It also got licensed by DiC (who screwed it up arguably more than Sailor Moon), and licensed for DVD by ADV (though unlike Sailor Moon, ADV reduced the Saint Seiya episodes they had the rights to. Arguably, that dub was only slightly better than DiC's because of how incredibly rushed it was). If Sailor Moon were licensed by Shueisha or Shogakun, I could see it saving Shojo Beat's ass. Shonen Jump DID have DBZ and Knights of the Zodiac, and it would compliment that very nice!
 
Nov 21, 2010
4,455
6
0
36
New York
www.youtube.com
#17
PurpleWarrior13 said:
I've always thought of Sailor Moon being a "female" Dragon Ball Z. Both series are action/adventure, and deal with similar-ish plots (but Sailor Moon's is arguably more developed).
On the contrary, villains such as Frieza and Cell I find are far better than any Sailor Moon villain. Buu was lacking. Piccolo Daimao was good as well but not as good as some SM villains though better than Pharaoh 90 for instance.

DB and SM are similar in that they have a team of super warriors ready to save the planet by any means and Usagi and Goku are pretty similar themselves.

Saint Seiya is probably more stylistically similar along with the mythological themes.
 
Sep 9, 2011
3,412
307
165
30
Richmond, VA, United States
#19
Nevermind said:
PurpleWarrior13 said:
I've always thought of Sailor Moon being a "female" Dragon Ball Z. Both series are action/adventure, and deal with similar-ish plots (but Sailor Moon's is arguably more developed).
On the contrary, villains such as Frieza and Cell I find are far better than any Sailor Moon villain. Buu was lacking. Piccolo Daimao was good as well but not as good as some SM villains though better than Pharaoh 90 for instance.

DB and SM are similar in that they have a team of super warriors ready to save the planet by any means and Usagi and Goku are pretty similar themselves.

Saint Seiya is probably more stylistically similar along with the mythological themes.
Buu was pretty generic, I agree. Dragon Ball (all three series) will always be my favorite anime, but even I agree that Sailor Moon had more character development. In Dragon Ball, we only see the development of Goku, Gohan, Vegeta, Piccolo, Trunks, Krillin, Android 18, Bulma, Frieza, Cell, and that's pretty much it (well, Yamcha got over his fear of girls, but that barely counts). In Sailor Moon, all of the main characters develop over the course of the story (although there were no cases of villains becoming allies). I think Queen Beryl could be based of of King Piccolo or Frieza (Sailor Moon first came out while the DB manga was at the Frieza arc). But yeah, the basic premise of Dragon Ball Z and Sailor Moon are the same.


Another similarity both shows (Seiya and Moon) have....they were given dubs by DIC. However, Seiya suffered more in this case.
I think in the end, both suffered equally. Yes, Saint Seiya's DiC dub was worse than Sailor Moon's, but Saint Seiya DID get a partial uncut dub from ADV Films. ADV could've redubbed the first 89 episodes of Sailor Moon if they wanted to, but they chose not to since Sailor Moon had been successful in it's dubbed format, and they saw no need to, so they distributed those episodes in sub-only and dub-only formats. Their Saint Seiya dub lasted only 65(?) episodes, and it wasn't very good voice acting wise (I blame this on the direction and time constraints, I'm surprised ADV didn't farm this dub out to Monster Island in Austin, TX like most of their "cheap" dubs), but if you mostly watch dubs anyway, it should be at least "tolerable". I really wish Sentai would continue the dub and finish the franchise. I would wholeheartidly support it.
 
Apr 26, 2011
8,653
5
0
32
"Dai Shocker's Hell Festival."
#20
Vilhem said:
In Mexico, when the newly dubbed eps of Sailor Moon were airing, they had Magic Knight Rayearth and Saint Seiya showing before. I remember I used to always come home and record all three shows onto vhs :)
Is Saint Seiya popular in Mexico, or am I thinking of South America?

PurpleWarrior13 said:
I think in the end, both suffered equally. Yes, Saint Seiya's DiC dub was worse than Sailor Moon's, but Saint Seiya DID get a partial uncut dub from ADV Films. ADV could've redubbed the first 89 episodes of Sailor Moon if they wanted to, but they chose not to since Sailor Moon had been successful in it's dubbed format, and they saw no need to, so they distributed those episodes in sub-only and dub-only formats. Their Saint Seiya dub lasted only 65(?) episodes, and it wasn't very good voice acting wise (I blame this on the direction and time constraints, I'm surprised ADV didn't farm this dub out to Monster Island in Austin, TX like most of their "cheap" dubs), but if you mostly watch dubs anyway, it should be at least "tolerable". I really wish Sentai would continue the dub and finish the franchise. I would wholeheartidly support it.
Put it this way...A lot of people think the dub of SM is enjoyable on it's own merits. They don't say that about Seiya.