PLEASE!!!!! The new eyes are PERFECT. If they'll change some childish elements: faces a bit longer and not so rounded, smaller mouths with lipstick and not wide mouths.... It would be a bit closer the manga.
Small mouths and long chins are something about Takeuchi's style.
If they will change the style, I hope they will catch manga's elements and vibe. I just tried to change season 3 style with these elements. (of course, the editing isn't perfect ... It eas just for showing a "direction" )
I think season 1-2 managed to keep some characteristic elements from the manga. It wasn't perfect and it could be improved, though, but at least it had manga's vibe.
But season 3 went in a direction like this:
I hope season 4 will go back to the manga's proportions and characteristic elements.
I just ask Crystal's style to catch manga's style: the style's direction taken with season 1-2 was good (but it needed some improvement) whereas season 3's style drastically changed the direction in something that was moving away from the manga.
This is what I feel, but, of course, this is a just a personal opinion.
I hope that, in season 4, they will find a good balance between homaging the manga's art and have a design that is easy to animate.
Probably Yukie Sako's style was too detailed (but, when done right, it was beautiful!!! :love:: unfortunately, it was rarely done right: probably, it works better in pictures than in animated scenes) whereas Akira Takahashi's style was too simplified.
I think both styles have good and bad points: Takahashi's style is really cute and expressive but lacks details and the manga's mature vibe, whereas Sako's style is more manga-like but sometimes too stiff.
There's the chance we will have a totally different style for season 4: if they plan to change the staff for every season, we should be ready for season 4 to change from season 3 the way season 3 changed from season 1-2.
I am really curious to see the new style.
Actually, if I could choose a style, I would take season 1-2 style (in its best shots: when done right it was really gorgeous) but with the new eyes (really expressive).
I'd vote something like this:
BUT, I think nobody can know how the new season will be. (Probably), a new huge change from season 3?
Premises: if they announced the upcoming season 4, it means they are already working on it (even if we don't know the staff, yet).
When I looked at this pictures for the first time, I thought it was just a slight change from season 3.
BUT, the more I look at this, the more I realize the changes aren't so “slight”:
- the eyes are totally different both from season 1-2 and season 3, not just the way they are drawn but also the proportion eyes/face (the new eyes are bigger!). We have already seen these new eyes in some other recent commercials, and since I don’t think these new eyes are going to be used just for some commercials here and there, I assume these eyes are the eyes we will see also in season 4: totally new eyes (the best ones, in my opinion: better both than season 1-2 and season 3)
- the mouth is far smaller. No lipstick, but definitively smaller (like season 1-2).
- the nose is smaller and better defined.
- No more lucid spots on cheeks? The excessive shining of season 3 (lucid spots plus eyes) seems definitively gone.
- Colors are far more vivid and not “sort of washed out” as season 3: again, a moving back to season 1-2.
- In the last picture, even if really small, Usagi’s pigtails look a bit different: less thin and a bit more curly (again, back to season 1-2′s style?).
Overall, the changes are an improvement.
Now, we have some options.
OPTIONS 1: season 4 won’t be a total change from season 3 but an improvement. In this case, there’s the chance that the new BB’s commercial is actually the style of season 4. Just an improvement of season 3.
OPTIONS 2: season 4 won’t be a total change from season 3 but a mix of season 1-2 and season 3. In this case, besides the totally new eyes, the smaller mouth and more vivid color can be a hint of this mix, but BB’s commercial isn’t the style we will see in season 4, yet (close, but not the final style, yet).
OPTIONS 3: season 4 will be a total change from season 3 (the way season 3 changed from season 1-2). In this case, BB’s commercial is just a vague hint of the changing: the new eyes, more vivid colors and smaller mouth…. among many other changes (Usagi’s pigtails and skirts… not showed, yet).