What justification does Usagi have to create Crystal Tokyo?

  • This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
Jul 5, 2009
8,625
802
665
Philippines
#22
WeirdRaptor said:
The rest of you went along with it. So my question is to everyone.
A. Bored.
B. Lulz.
C. Troll.
D. A and C
E. A and B
F. B and C
G. A, B and C.
F. Research and development.
 
#23
WeirdRaptor said:
Alright, so my I ask what is everyone's problem with Crystal Tokyo, then? It seems like a really weird topic to constantly go on about.

Huh? I haven't been here so long, but this is the first Crystal Tokyo question I have seen. I think there are tons of things in SM that need to be elaborated on, but Crystal Tokyo isn't one of them.

I responded to the post to put my two cents in, I think that's what most people do
 

Maraviollantes

Staff member
Site Admin
Jan 3, 2006
9,100
448
165
Embelyon
shoujocity.com
#24
WeirdRaptor said:
Alright, so my I ask what is everyone's problem with Crystal Tokyo, then? It seems like a really weird topic to constantly go on about.
Future monarchy controlling the whole planet would revert all freedoms and democratic rights humans fought so long for and paid by so many lives for. No person should ever rule another person but according to his or her own free will - and with inalienable right to depose or replace such a ruler at any time. In the story of BSSM there was nothing suggesting that Serenity came to power through democratic elections or that she can she can be deposed from power in any other way but through another war.
 

Rika-Chicchi

Staff member
Site Admin
May 7, 2009
37,649
1,086
1,665
#26
Rhett Butler said:
If that's what you focused on I think you missed the point. Sailor Moon isn't Superman and it's not trying to play out political theories and philosophical ideologies within its story. It remains simplistic and highly idealistic. You are meant to take it at face value.
Yes, but that doesn't mean we can't elaborate on it in perspectives other than the one intended for the series - which I think is thought provoking &, hence, fun. :)
 

Maraviollantes

Staff member
Site Admin
Jan 3, 2006
9,100
448
165
Embelyon
shoujocity.com
#27
Rhett Butler said:
^

If that's what you focused on I think you missed the point. Sailor Moon isn't Superman and it's not trying to play out political theories and philosophical ideologies within its story. It remains simplistic and highly idealistic. You are meant to take it at face value.
Any fairy tale always contains a whole layer of political and philosophical themes. Whether their inclusion was well thought through or unintentional is not really relevant. In both cases they can tell us a lot about the author's ideas, his/her cultural environment, stereotypes, and philosophy.

Cinderella is not a political book, but a tale about human virtues. On the other hand, in the story we see how Cinderella, living in abuse and poverty rises from it and marries a prince to join the tiny ruling class so that thousands of other cinderellas keep living in poverty and despair just to serve the needs of worthless parasites known as nobility. That's not what the main story was about, but themes like these tells us a lot about culture and political views of people at the time. Majority didn't resent against existing order of things, kings and nobility. At most they dreamed about rising from oppressed ones and becoming oppressors, themsleves. Simple fairy tales like these, with their "unintentional" messages, can tell us more about people than many elaborate political and philosophical treatises.
 

Rika-Chicchi

Staff member
Site Admin
May 7, 2009
37,649
1,086
1,665
#28
Maraviollantes said:
Rhett Butler said:
^

If that's what you focused on I think you missed the point. Sailor Moon isn't Superman and it's not trying to play out political theories and philosophical ideologies within its story. It remains simplistic and highly idealistic. You are meant to take it at face value.
Any fairy tale always contains a whole layer of political and philosophical themes. Whether their inclusion was well thought through or unintentional is not really relevant. In both cases they can tell us a lot about the author's ideas, his/her cultural environment, stereotypes, and philosophy.
That's an internalization by the author, over the course of his/her life, of the existing values, symbols, etc. in the sociocultural environment s/he's been living in, whether s/he's consciously aware of it or not. :)
 

Studio Plant

Lapis Lunaris
Mar 14, 2012
677
2
0
28
#30
Crystal tokyo is a fun topic as others have mentioned due to its vague nature, though some people are talking about people liking queen serenity and such, we have little to no evidence of that. outside of future versionso f themselves, pluto and Rini and villains, there is almost no interaction with characters from crystal tokyo, so for all we know shes hated, or loved, or completely ignored, or hitler, or one of 20 people alive. we simply do not know, and thats what makes it fun to discuss.
 

Rika-Chicchi

Staff member
Site Admin
May 7, 2009
37,649
1,086
1,665
#31
solarsailors said:
Crystal tokyo is a fun topic as others have mentioned due to its vague nature, though some people are talking about people liking queen serenity and such, we have little to no evidence of that. outside of future versionso f themselves, pluto and Rini and villains, there is almost no interaction with characters from crystal tokyo, so for all we know shes hated, or loved, or completely ignored, or hitler, or one of 20 people alive. we simply do not know, and thats what makes it fun to discuss.
That's why there's ample room for us to have various interpretations of it, including the "anti-Serenity" one, which's fun. :D
 

Studio Plant

Lapis Lunaris
Mar 14, 2012
677
2
0
28
#32
Rika-Chicchi said:
That's why there's ample room for us to have various interpretations of it, including the "anti-Serenity" one, which's fun. :D
kind of reminds me of the recent my little pony crazy where everyone jokes that the pony princess is an evil tyrant who banishes everyone to the moon.
 

Vaporeon

Lapis Lunaris
May 16, 2012
35
0
0
LA
#33
"I just saved all of you. Call me Neo Queen Serenity. Anyone who opposes board the next ship to Nemesis. Next!"

That's her justification.
 

Rika-Chicchi

Staff member
Site Admin
May 7, 2009
37,649
1,086
1,665
#34
Vaporeon said:
"I just saved all of you. Call me Neo Queen Serenity. Anyone who opposes board the next ship to Nemesis. Next!"

That's her justification.
Basically NQS might've created her own enemies for herself - more often than not the "antagonists" are actually created, even deliberately/consciously sometimes, by the "protagonists" themselves, whether in the real or fictional world. :)
 

Rika-Chicchi

Staff member
Site Admin
May 7, 2009
37,649
1,086
1,665
#38
MetroidJunkie said:
Rika-Chicchi said:
But have they ever got married in any Sailor Moon continuities? :confused:
On a serious note, they seem happy just being in a relationship, I don't think they care if they can get married or not. P-:
I asked that question because it could show whether NQS has legalized homosexual marriage, not because I query about their love. :wink:
 

MetroidJunkie

Lapis Lunaris
Jun 12, 2011
688
0
0
Naples, Italy
#39
Rika-Chicchi said:
I asked that question because it could show whether NQS has legalized homosexual marriage, not because I query about their love. :wink:
You're right, homosexuals have the right to get into loveless impulse marriages and then get ripped apart by divorce leading to an extreme amount of despair, just like the rest of us. :lol:
 

Rika-Chicchi

Staff member
Site Admin
May 7, 2009
37,649
1,086
1,665
#40
MetroidJunkie said:
Rika-Chicchi said:
I asked that question because it could show whether NQS has legalized homosexual marriage, not because I query about their love. :wink:
You're right, homosexuals have the right to get into loveless impulse marriages and then get ripped apart by divorce leading to an extreme amount of despair, just like the rest of us. :lol:
Of course there's no difference between heterosexuals & homosexuals on that regard, lol but my point is still focused on whether NQS would've legalized gay marriage. :)